The knee is one of the largest and most complex joints in the body. A knee pain is common problem that can originate in the knee joint (femur, tibia, and fibula), the kneecap (patella) or the ligaments and cartilage of the knee. Knee pain is not restricted to the age.
• Injury in knee
• Obesity or overweight
• Tendonitis- Tendonitis is painful inflammation or irritation of tendons- strong band of tissue attaching muscles to bones. It is also known as ‘jumper knee’ as it is common in sports, which involves jumping, such as throw ball, basket ball and etc.
• Bone Chips- A knee injury can break off fragments from the bone or cartilage. These pieces can get stuck in the joints which results in pain and swelling in the pain.
• Housemaid’s Knee or Bursitis- It is caused by sitting for a long time in the position in which the body is supported by a knee or repetitive knee movement. Fluid builds up in the bursa, the sac of fluid that cushions the knee joints. Swelling behind is called Bakers’ cyst. It is caused due to injury or arthritis.
• Arthritis-Arthritis is a disease that causes painful inflammation and stiffness of the joints.
• Haemarthrosis – Haemarthrosis is injury that affects blood vessels around the knee ligaments, which causes warmness, stiffness, bruises and swelling in the knees and bleeding in the knee joints.
• Iliotibial Band Syndrome- It is caused due to overuse injury to the iliotibial band of tissue-that runs from hip to shin past the knee.
• Medial Plica Syndrome- The overuse injury affects the plica-a fold of tissue in the knee joint.
• Osgood-Schlatter Disease- The overuse condition is common in teenagers, who play sports. It causes swelling and tenderness over the bony bump, below the knee.
• Partially Dislocated Kneecap or Patellar Subluxation- This is due to the physical conditions with the legs rather than the sports injury. The kneecap slides out of the position and causes swelling and pain.
Symptoms of Knee Pain
• Swelling and stiffness in knees
• Redness and warmth in knees
• Weakness or instability
• Crunching noises from knees while movement
• In able to straight knees completely
• Bruises and tenderness in the knees.
• Deformity in leg or knee
How Knee pain is detected?
• Medical history of the patient
• Observing symptoms such as tenderness, burning or swelling in the knee
• Location and time period of the pain
• Onset of pain( after an injury or any accident)
• Through X-Rays, MRI and CT scan
Treatment for knee pain
• People with knee pain are advised to rest the joints and avoid overuse. The knee should be kept straight and limited bending.
• Ice or heat packs- Applying ice or cold packs to knee reduces the inflammation and swelling.
• Pain relievers- Anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen and naproxen can relieve the knee pain.
• Reducing weight- People with overweight are at high risk of knee pain. So reducing the weight is the best option.
• Knee Braces- Knee braces are supports that is worn or wrapped around painful and injured knees. Braces restrict knee movement. It is used when ligaments are weak and keep the knee from “buckling”.
• Injections: If the pain is not relived by above methods than consult the doctor. The doctor will refer medication or if the pain is sever than he may inject potent anti-inflammatory agents to reduce the pain and inflammation. Ozone Gas can also be injected into the knee. Another injection which is injected into the knees is “viscosupplementation”. The treatment involves injecting a lubricant into the knee. It adds cushioning to the joint and allows the bones to move more easily.
• Stem Cell/Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy: The therapy involves injecting platelets from the patient’s own blood to rebuild the ruptured tendon or cartilage. The therapy is safe and successful.
• Physiotherapy: Physical therapies and mild exercise helps the patient, recover the injury and reduces the pain.
• Surgery: Surgery is the last option when other treatments do not show any impact. The surgery involves total knee replacement, open repair and arthroscopic.
Exclusive knee treatment in Delhi India at our clinic
• Physical and oral therapies
• Platelet Rich Plasma/ Stem Cell Therapy
• Intra-articular Ozone Injections
• Radiofrequency lesioning knee joint.