What is Dengue?
Dengue also known as breakbone fever. It is a debilitating viral disease of the tropics, transmitted by mosquitoes, and causes sudden fever and acute pains in the joints. Dengue fever is transmitted by the bite of an Aedes mosquito (Aedes is a genus of mosquitoes originally found in tropical and subtropical zones, but now it is found in all continents excluding Antarctica) infected with a dengue virus. It is spread through the mosquito, when it bites an infected person the germs are transmitted in mosquito and through it the germ is passed to another person whom he bites.
Symptoms of Dengue:
- Hemorrhagic fever, a rare complication characterized by high Fever, up to 106 F (41 C)
- Muscle, bone and joint pain
- Pain behind your eyes
- Rashes on the body
- Nausea and vomiting
- Minor bleeding from your gums or nose
- Bleeding from the nose and mouth
If it is not checked then it may lead to:
- Severe abdominal pain
- Persistent vomiting
- Bleeding under the skin, which may look like bruising
- Problems with your lungs, liver and heart
- Keep your belongings and place clean
- Wash your hands before eating.
- Cover the container and utensils
- Clean the dustbin after disposing the garbage and use black polythene sheet to cover dustbin.
- Use mosquito replant while going from the home and cover your arms and legs especially in the day.
- Since the disease is communicable so avoid direct contact with dengue patient.
- As mosquito’s fly over stool and urine so they should be correctly discarded.
Treatment for Dengue fever:
As prevention is batter then cure so protecting from dengue fever is the main treatment. There is no specific medicine to treat dengue infection. If god forbid you are infected then you should use pain relievers with a acetaminophen and avoid medicines with aspirin, which can increase the bleading. You should also rest, drink plenty of fluids and immediately consult the doctor.
Household Remedies of Treating Dengue Fever:
- Papaya Leaf Juice– According to the experts Chymopapin and papin – enzymes in the papaya leaf – help revive platelet count so drinking papaya juice twice in a day will cure Dengue fever.
- Coconut water– It helps replaces body fluid loss and is very nutritious and improves immunity.
- Black Grape Juice- It increases the white blood cells, so drinking Black grape juice 2-3 times a day will increase the blood count
- Fenugreek- Fenugreek is a pain reliever, the herbal tea of leaves will help cut down fever and relieve you from joint and muscle pain.
- Drink plenty amount of fluids.
- Regular urine output
How is Dengue Fever Diagnosed?
The diagnosis of dengue fever is usually made when the clinical symptoms like headache, fever, eye pain, severe muscle aches, and rashes on the body are evident in the person.. Dengue fever can be difficult to diagnose because its symptoms are similar with other viral illnesses, such as yellow fever Chikungunya fever.