The year 2014 for Bollywood was dominated by the three khan’s,Shah Rukh, Salman and Aamir Khan as their films Kick, Happy New Year and pk respectively broke all the box office records. The three films went on to surpass each other total collection. However, Aamir Khan And Anushka Sharma starrer pk is ruling the box office being a highest grosser film in India and the at the overseas as well. Apart from the above mentioned films, the year saw a host of other films which proved their mettle at the box office, they are:
1. Singham Returns– Ajay Devgan and Karina Kapoor starrer action film was the sequel of the Singham released in the year 2011.The film had the biggest opening day of 2014 beating ‘Kick’, however Kick won the race, but the Devgan managed to enter in the 100 car clubs.
2. Holiday: A Soldier Is Never Off The Duty– After a long time Akshay Kumar returned with an action thriller. The film went on to become the biggest nett grosser of the first half of 2014.
3. 2 States– The film was based on the Chetan Bhagat’s book with the same name.The story revolved around Krish(Arjun Kapoor) and Ananya (Alia Bhatt) whose families are as different as cheese and chalks, yet the destiny was in their favor and after clearing all the ordeals both got married. The flick earned positive reviews from critics and has been received exceptionally well by audiences, making its appearance in the 100 crore club.
4. Ragini MMS 2– The horex garnered accolades for porn star Sunny Leone. It was a second instalment of Ragini MMS which released in 2011.The film was a major commercial success, and was declared a hit at the box office and was well perceived by the critics as well.
5. Queen– After English Vinglish which released in 2012,Queen became the other women oriented film which not only earned positive critics’ reviews, but made its mark at the box office with a net collection of the 98crores, emerging as commercial success.
6. Yaariyan– The film had a host of debutantes like Himansh Kohli, Rakul Preet Singh and Nicole Faria in the lead roles and Divya Khosla Kumar as a director. The film was a Gen X friendship plus romance adventure. Despite the new faces, the story of the film became its USP, drawing accolades from audiences and critics as well.
7. Bang Bang– The action comedy thriller staring Hrithik Roshan and Katrina Kaif was official remake of the Hollywood film Knight and Day. The film got mixed reviews but is counted among the the film is one among the highest-grossing Bollywood films of all time.
8. Haider– Shahid and Shraddha Kapoor starrer withTabu, Kay Kay Menon, and Irrfan Khan in the supporting roles is a modern-day adaptation of William Shakespeare’s tragedy Hamlet, set amidst the insurgency-hit Kashmir conflicts of 1995 and civilian disappearances. The film embraced wide critical acclaim and a decent box office collection.
9. Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhaniya– Hindi romantic-comedy film, directed by Shashank Khaitan and produced by Karan Johar.Starring Varun Dhawan as Humpty Sharma, Alia Bhatt as Kavya Pratap Singh in the lead roles. Sidharth Shukla aka Shiv of Balika Vadhu made his debut with the film.The film had one of the better openings of the year.
10. Ek Villain – The Film Features Sidharth Malhotra, Shraddha Kapoor and Riteish Deshmukh as a villain. The film crossed 100 crores in 21 days and became the third highest grosser in amidst of the year.
11. Haseen Toh Phasee– The drama queen Pareeniti along with Sidharth Malhotra managed to get the praises for their acting skills. The film was a commercial success and collected around 620 million (US$9.7 million) worldwide.
12. Jai Ho– However, Despite Salman’s film, it could not make an exceptional impact.The film managed to get 100 crores.